Friday, January 16, 2015

Like eating an elephant.....

One bite at a time!  I have been working diligently for several months on the Master Knitter Level 1.  I mailed my submission off for evaluation this week!  Now for two months to breathe until it comes back with what I need to redo and fix.  It is a daunting task.  I had to look it all over and then just look at the next step.  There is a lot of research and writing involved as well as knitting.  While in the midst of it I had serious doubts I would go on to level 2.  I am now convinced that I should complete the entire program, all three levels.  The research and writing are good for me.  Below are just a few of the 17 swatches I had to submit.




 Take a good look at this vest.  I loved it, she loved it, her Mommy loved it.  It met a horrible demise.  It came up against the dryer and lost.  It was not knit of superwash wool.  Mommy knew it, Daddy did not.  Sigh.  It would fit a teddy bear now.  I cried.  I contacted the dyer, my favorite dyer, to see if I could get more of the yarn and knit another.  It even had Olaf buttons!  It was too cute to wear once.  Elena, from Colour Adventures, was in the midst of dying for a coop, her mother in law was sick, and she had a lot going on.  She put in time to dye some more for me, included it with my coop order, and she didn't charge me!  I cannot say enough good things about her yarn.  The color, the feel, the way it knits up.  She's always been sweet but this was above and beyond.

 It's been a few busy months.  I've been sewing more that knitting but knit a few gifts for a friend and her new baby granddaughter.

 I love the mini swaps in the Itty Bitty group on ravelry.  The requirements for these swaps is one hand made gift, it can be sewn, crocheted, knit, tatted, painted, whatever, and a card.  That's it.  I crocheted a few snowflakes for the last swap before Christmas.  It was fun to get back into crocheting with thread for a bit.  I stiffened them with one part tacky glue and two parts water.  They were stiff enough, or as Goldilocks said when she sat in the baby bear's chair, they were "just right."
 Sewing, sewing, sewing...oh my.  Pjs for all the grandmunchkins, and flannel shirts for the boys and that was the extent of my Christmas sewing and gifts.  I failed miserably on my goals for gifts this year but have a goal to do better next year.  I did get some amazing deals on the flannel and fleece even though I had to go to Joann's twice to get those deals.  One day was flannel sales, the next fleece.  I found Olaf flannel for the girls and took all that was left on the bolt.  It was just enough!
 Shega kept busy right before Christmas knitting a Dr. Who scarf for a friend.  It took her hours and lots of my stash but it was beautiful when she was done and the friend was very happy with it.  He paid her with a Starbucks card (my suggestion) and she was thrilled.  She got a new hot chocolate mug.
 I almost forgot about this.  His older brothers had a Chillman vest for Christmas at his age so it was time he got one.  Unfortunately he will only get to wear it this season.  I made it big enough for this year but not next so I'll be knitting another.  I still love knitting with Sublime yarn.  Yummy!
 The boys' seasonal flannel shirts.  Shirts and I have a love hate relationship.  I love sewing them for the challenge but after all these years they are still that, a challenge.

 This was a very special Christmas gift for me.  My granddaughter, age 13, spent hours coloring this for me and framed it.  It is proudly in the living room where I can see it often.  I cried when I opened it.  What a treasure.  A 13 year old girl would spend her time to make this for me.  I'm crying again.
 Well, the saying goes, "Go Ducks!"  Or not.  It was a phenomenal football season watching the Ducks this year.  I've slowing been enjoying college football more and more and specifically the Ducks.  I watch the Beavers as well but they frustrate me.  We even went to a Beaver's game this year and throughly enjoyed it.  I think my heart is more with the Ducks, always kind of has been.  Since they were in the Rose Bowl and then in the National Championship, I knit my youngest grandson a "Go Ducks" vest.  I've been wanting to use this pattern for years and finally did!  It is going to be a go to for baby showers.  Fast and cute.
What a hodge podge this blog post has been.  It probably wouldn't be if I did it more often but life happens and blog posts take time.  So no apologies, just when it happens, it happens.
I set a few goals for 2015, not resolutions.  I posted them in the ravelry group.  We'll see.  No pressure.  Looking back at 2014 goals was helpful.  I made a few, made dents in a few, and a few never even saw more than the list.  The goals are like life, keep striving.  And with that, I'm off to strive to clean up the sewing table, again.  Can't have a fabric stash.  It's not in me.  So I sew but I enjoy the sewing and the clean sewing room after....for awhile and then another project notion hits and a trip to the fabric store and more sewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment