Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Passing the Torch

First of all, this post has little to nothing to do with the Olympics. I'm going to talk about a different kind of torch, or torches, in this case. But, before I totally bypass the connection to the Olympics, I will state that, yes, I am signed up for the Ravelympics on Team Hopelessly Overcommitted and in the Baby Dressage event.
Ok, now that that's out of the way, I passed on a different kind of torch today. The flame isn't totally lit but a spark has been ignited. I began to teach my oldest granddaughter how to crochet. I first taught my daughters to crochet at age 6 for the oldest and age 11 for the youngest, and then the youngest to knit at a later date. I personally think getting the hang of crocheting is easier, especially for the young. It has remained a passion with my oldest daughter and she is very good at it and Fast! This little grandmunchkin took a little frustration in stride, with encouragement, and kept at it. Good lesson for life.
Proudly showing her brother her accomplishment thus far...a chain! Tomorrow we try the single crochet. She took the yarn and hook home to practice. She told her Dad (our son) that she knew how and he didn't. He forthwith corrected her and stated that I had taught him and his brother. Hmmm, memories of that escape me but I don't doubt that I did.


Another torch to pass at a later date....scrapbooks! I've been playing catch up...AGAIN! But with a shot of caffiene, or two, I can crank out the pages. I've created scrapbooks for the youngest 6 grandmunchkins of my memories with them and of them. My husband, whom I thought resented the time and money spent on these ventures, surprised me last night after he'd looked at the third album I'd caught up. He gave me a kiss and said to keep taking pictures and scrapbooking them for the kiddos. These will be their memories of us and he wished he had pictures like this of him with his grandparents. Just goes to show that 32 years of marriage doesn't mean there aren't still some surprises!

And yet another torch, passed to me by http://knitwithmeonline.blogspot.com/ I've been tagged. Here are the rules:
1. Link back to the person who tagged you
2. Mention the rules on your blog
3. Tell about 6 unspectacular quirks of yours
4. Tag 6 following bloggers by linking to them
5. Leave a comment on each of the tagged bloggers' blogs letting them know they've been tagged
So, 6 unspectacular quirks about me:
1. I am faithful to one hobby, one project, until it's completed and it nags at me until it's done and won't let another take my time. Knitting and crocheting are always in progress and the exception to the rule. An example would be the scrapbooking I'm caught up in now and I have sewing I need to do.
2. It's been said men are like waffles, they compartmentalize. Women are like spaghaetti, they multitask, multithought. I drive my husband crazy with my spaghetti thought travels.
3. I am an extreme introvert. I like being alone and home. I get shaky if I share in front of a group. Old joke in our family that if my husband dies first the kiddos will have to come and drag me out of the house.
4. This is hardly unspectacular but it says much about me. I am a born again, Bible believing Christian and, with the help of the Holy Spirit, I try to live my life in faithfulness to Jesus Christ.
5. I believe, and quote often, especially to my children, the verse that says "be sure your sins will find you out". Now they are quoting it to their children.
6. I hate shopping. I prefer to shop online. Or in yarn or craft stores.
I am tagging, or in keeping with the post theme, passing the torch, to: http://chrissmarie5.blogspot.com/ for starters. The others I was going to tag have been so I'll hunt around for a few more victims, err, others.

Madness, complete Madness! A few shots from this last weekend. Our city had a main street madness 3 on 3 basketball tourney. Our son in law and his brother got together a team and we went to watch. Lots of events downtown besides the Bball tourney. We had our little two year old grandaughter over night and we enjoyed watching her and our other three grandmunchkins as well as the basketball.

Our son in law. I wouldn't want that face coming after me! Intensity written all over it.


His wife and son (our daughter) enjoying some together time during the game.

They were passing out kazoos in an attempt to get enough people to play at once to get a new world record. We didn't play in the event but had fun with the kazoo.
Go pass a torch or two!

No comments:

Post a Comment