Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Interviewed

I've only been interviewed once before, by the Oregonian, right after we brought S home. They did an article on our adoption. They didn't put the emphasis where my husband and I would have liked it but it was sort of fun to see our pictures in the paper and read the reporters take on what we said. So! I have the opportunity to be interviewed again by Gramma 2 Many and I thought it would be fun to give it a try. Here goes!
Gramma 2 Many asked:
1. Tell me who, outside of your parents, had the greatest influence on who you are today.
I would have to say my husband has had the most influence on me. He certainly isn't afraid to tell me when I've made errors, am in a bad mood and therefore my decisions are being affected, or get me to stop and rethink, or re-look at a situation under a different light, usually a light from Scripture. I have had many turn arounds in my thoughts or actions based on his counsel. He is also quick to point out when he's proud of me or boost my confidence in areas I feel less than confident or am just plain scared! Raising our children was/is, hands down, a joint effort.
2. What was your aha moment when you understood the truth of the Salvation message?
I was in VBS, and about 12 years old. I shocked myself by going forward. I thought I had been saved, I'd been in a Baptist church as a young girl and even been baptized but I really understood the truth that summer in VBS. I think God gives aha moments after we're saved. I remember when messages from the pulpit, or scripture I'm reading, or even a book, jumped out at me and hit me between the eyes, even though I may have read it or heard it before. God meets us where we are and I'm amazed, shouldn't be, but am, when He does that. A case in point was when our daughter was trying to get pregnant and then pregnant and I was reading in Ephesians. Ephesians 3:20 jumped out at me and I began to pray that verse for her and her husband. It became the theme verse for the pregnancy. She did get pregnant, with triplets! And they were very healthy and just 4 weeks early.
3. What is your favorite childhood memory?
It's been so long since childhood! Childhood to me is a blur of great memories and none just jump out as just one. It's like potato chips, I couldn't pick just one. I had sheep for a 4-H project and there are great memories of raising them, and 4-H meetings, and showing them at the fair. There were camping trips, vacation trips, and a trip to Disneyland. There were youth group activities. There was just plain growing up with my siblings in the suburbs and then on a 62 acre farm. So much to do on a farm! Even working as a family has great memories.
4. Would you rather read the book or see the movie?
Hands down, read the book. I want to picture the characters my way, or read between the lines and add my take on what is going on. Reading is an escape for me. A movie, I cannot just sit and watch, usually, and becomes a time for my knitting or crocheting and less of an escape.
5. What is your love story, how did you and your husband meet?
Ours was definitely puppy love! We met in the 5th grade but it was a boy and girl in the same class. He played with the boys at recess and I played with the girls and in those days there was a definite line! Then in Jr. Hi we sort of noticed each other by teasing each other. By Mid Hi we were "an item" for one year. We then, by my choice, went our separate ways. We saw each other enough to say hi and participate together in youth group. Then came high school! We were mostly inseparable. We went to the same church and were in the same youth group. I think he and I each had one other date. Other than that, we say we've been together since 7th grade. I remember going to our 20 year high school reunion. The reception committee looked at us and said something to the effect of: you two are still together? Yes!

Thanks Evy (Gramma 2 Many)! I don't know if anyone will enjoy reading this but I enjoyed doing it!
For those of you who read this, I would very much appreciate prayers for my daughter and daughter in law. Both were or are being laid off. It's a hard time. Ephesians 3:20 is part of my prayers again for both of them. Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Debby, I definitely will be praying. These times are just so hard.

    I do love "AHA" moments. I do think God uses them to get my attention because I am so bad about getting in a rut and just plugging along. He'll send an "AHA" and I'm fired up again!

    ReplyDelete