Sunday, December 6, 2009

Regrouping and moving on

It is no secret that I love the ocean and beach and I have to visit almost once a month. It's been a rough couple of weeks with Thanksgiving and then the Civil War to get through and Christmas creeping up. All these firsts and both my husband and I were feeling it. Our daughter's inlaws generously gave their family a trip to a Christmas Lights celebration and invited our little caboose along too. My husband has been begging me to get away so we did...to the southern Oregon coast. They have a garden there called Shore Acres that they light up for Christmas and I've always wanted to see it. Now was the time. Since it's on the coast it's done in a beach/sea theme. I forgot the tripod at home so the pictures are a little blurry.


But it was more beautiful than we expected and more intensive than we thought it would be.

We stayed in a motel right on the point over the beach. The weather was clear, sunny, and COLD! Mittens and hats required. And here I am a knitter and I have never knit a hat for myself! That will be remedied soon.


On the way home we stopped at one of my favorite lighthouses, Heceta Head. Not because it's such a glorious lighthouse but because of it's location, on the cliff over the ocean.


The little town we stayed in on the coast is one of my favorites. Perhaps because it boasts a wonderful quilt shop and yarn store? I visited the quilt shop to find they were having a huge sale. The owner was selling bolts and bolts of fabic and 50% or more off per yard. It was quilt shop quality fabric at Walmart prices. I saved more than I spent. There is fabric for boys' summer shirts, girls dresses, flannel for quilt backing.


I picked up a couple of patterns. One that I think my sister may be interested in and the other for the new baby.


And lastly, some snowmen panels to decorate the house with. I'm trying to destash yarn and fabric but I don't think this fabric will stay in the stash long since I have plans for most of it already.


It was a good weekend and I think we're ready to face the first Christmas. My husband said at the beginning of the weekend that he just wasn't happy and couldn't explain it. By the end he seemed more like himself. I'm trying very hard to remember the "reason for the season" and not let that be overshadowed by the grief. The key word is "trying".








2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are doing everything right. Taking time when you need it, and distracting yourself when needed also. I'm so sorry that you are having to face all these special times without him. Love, Marilee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to tell you - I loved the fabric, and what I could see of the patterns. I will have to see them in person, soon!

    ReplyDelete