Wednesday, May 19, 2010

We needed a break, a diversion, Something!

The 18th of the month is hard for me....every month...so my outlook, face, mood, is a little blue and forlorn. I thought about it last night, why I am always so blue and it struck me. From one month to the next things change and usually for the better. If you're in financial straights one month, the next may be a little easier, as an example. Not so when you lose a loved one. The next month is never better. It's the same. The loss, the heartache.
The grandmunchkins may have been feeling it. Or they are feeling the stress of their parents. Or the weather. Whatever it is, I was getting this "look" along with disobedience, bickering, squabbling, tears, lots and lots of tears, disobedience, biting, pinching, did I mention disobedience? We needed a diversion, and fast. And God provided blue skies and warm sunshine for a brief period. We headed out to get the pots ready for flower planting tomorrow, clean the deck, and clean the bird bath.

It started out harmless enough. Just a little water cleaning the bird bath.
And then IT happened. I couldn't help myself. Water is a bad temptation for me. Always has been. I started off lightly throwing a bit of water over the heads of the grandmunchkins, kind of like a heavy rain. But they egged me on. "More Nonny!" Oh man, that's like throwing down the gauntlet. I gave 'em more...and more. And they were having so much fun I just had to get pictures of it. But I can't shoot pics and man the hose at the same time. What to do?



I put the hose in his capable? hands. Luckily for all involved his aim isn't great or it would have been like a fire hose drenching his siblings and cousin.


See what I mean?


Most of the damage had been done before I gave the hose up and I still got my pictures.





Yep, that was fun. And it was good medicine. But like any medicine, it wore off too soon. Ahhh, nap time came early. And while they nap, I get to do a load of laundry!

4 comments:

  1. I love everything about this post. I love remembering even when it hurts. Because no matter who it is you lose, forgetting is worse than remembering, and children/grandchildren are the best medicine and I'm so glad you have them everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything about this post. I love remembering even when it hurts. Because no matter who it is you lose, forgetting is worse than remembering, and children/grandchildren are the best medicine and I'm so glad you have them everyday.
    Mari at Waiting in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, a little water from the hose, and a little dirt, never any kids! In fact, I think it does them good! I know your family had had a VERY rough year; you've been in my thoughts and prayers. I'm glad to see you had a little spontaneous fun; is's good for kids AND grandmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lemonade day! Glad you had some fun and joy, from those sweet faces I can tell they sure did! It was worth the extra laundry!

    ReplyDelete